My mom has breast cancer. There's no easy way to say it. And this is her second time. She was cleared and relased from the cancer center after being cancer free for 10 years. They discovered the mass through a mammogram shortly following her release. This time it's triple negative, a more aggressive form of cancer that's harder to treat.
This is the Angel of Strength that I bought my mom 10 years ago, when I was told she had cancer the first time. It's gone to every single doctor's appointment, surgery, and treatment with my mom. You can see the wear on her body, from holding her over the years. Her wings have been glued, and so has her head. She's been through a lot, and so has my mom.
My mom has to go through 4 rounds of Chemo, with 3 weeks in between cycles. This will be followed by a month of radiation. This is why we're in Michigan, to help my mom and father-in-law who is also going through cancer. It's a difficult, stressful, and emotional time for everyone involved. I'm glad we're home.
Last Friday was my mom's 3rd treatment. So now she is officially half way through, with only one more chemo treatment to go. I had the opportunity to go with her to the cancer center for treatment. She snuggled up in one of the many lazy-boy chairs cuddled with a heated blanket while my brother and I sat next to her to keep her company for the next several hours.
I was surprised at how many patients were there. The waiting room was full, and almost every single chair in the treatment room was being used. Why is this horrible disease so prevalent now? It seems like everyone you talk to either has a personal experience with it or has a close family member or friend going through it. It's heartbreaking, and a horrible disease. Luckily both my mom and father-in-law have an optimistic and positive attitude. Despite everything they are going through, it amazes me how they can keep such a positive outlook. But at the same time, I suppose it's necessary - to get you out of bed and through the day.
No comments:
Post a Comment