Saturday, December 29, 2012

Nabana No Sato - Winter Illumination

Every year the Nabana no Sato park is decorated with millions of LED lights during the winter season (from November all the way through March). I read that this year there was over 7 million lights. Each year there is a theme, this year the theme was "nature." You can see pretty spectacular photos of the lights here.

There were 3 main attractions this year: 1) tunnel of white lights, 2) tunnel of pink flower-shaped lights, and 3) Mt. Fuji.




Nabana no Sato is considered one of the best light shows in all of Japan. So needless to say because this is Japan... this place was crowded! Had we known that we'd have to park miles away, wait in traffic for hours, and fight the crowds just to take a picture... we'd probably have thought twice about going. Plus, it was $25 a person!

It was pretty and I'm glad we experienced it, but I suppose I just expected more. This place is a park, and yet there weren't any lights on any of the trees. Besides the 3 main attractions, there really wasn't a whole lot to see or do there. Nonetheless, it was something unique to do to get us out of the house during the cold winter months.

1 comment: