Monday, December 24, 2012

Turkey!!!

I got a tip from a friend that there may be turkeys at the supermarket. So the next day, I was cruising through the meat isle and you'll never guess what I saw... a TURKEY!!! Turkey in Japan!?... you've got to be kidding me. I don't even need to tell you how quickly I snatched one of those birds up and put it in my cart, without even considering whether or not it would fit in my oven or how in the world I was going to cook it (I have never cooked a turkey before).

This 3.5lb bird cost me a whooping $20, but I didn't care. And yes, I said 3.5lbs not 35lbs! Can you even picture what a turkey that small looks like? I had no problem fitting it in my oven.


I guess you really need to see the size of my small oven to understand how tiny this bird actually was. I'm not even sure it was bigger than a whole chicken.

But I'm glad to report that my tiny, non-even cooking oven (you should see how lopsided a cake turns out in this oven!) did a fantastic job. And considering that this was my first time cooking a turkey, I think it turned out pretty dang good. This website and this website helped me immensely.

I was wondering and a bit worried about what I was going to make for Christmas Eve dinner. So this was the perfect find.

When I move back to the U.S., I am making a commitment to cook a turkey more than once a year. Why do most people only cook this fabulous bird once a year anyway? It's not that much work, and you have a ton of leftovers... which makes it worth it, in my opinion.

2 comments: