Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Purikura

Purikura is a Japanese photo booth "vending machine." It's is a popular activity here, especially amongst Japanese school adolescents and young adults - mainly girls, women, and young couples.

The booths let you take digital pictures with your friends, and then you have a limited amount of time to decorate the photos with the modern touch-screen kiosk. You have free reign to draw or write whatever you want, put stamps/sparkles/glitter on the pics, or even do some major face "enhancement" - which you can see in our giant eyes below.

You can even rent costumes (or wear/bring your own costumes) to dress up for the photos. There are also several make-up booths where you can spend time touching up your make-up before the photo session.

Your finished product is then printed (sometimes on sticker paper), and then you can also choose to send a digital copy of one of your favorites to your phone or email.

The popular machines even have a line, and people are willing to wait to use them!


 




As my friend Anna said, "I am gonna MISS Japan. Where else can I take photos like these, surrounded by girls in maid costumes and men in pink shirts doing Dance Dance Revolution??!?"

Japan is truly one of a kind. Amazing what technology can do in just a few seconds these days. 

I read this is also becoming popular & trendy in the U.S.... is that true?

1 comment:

  1. hmmmm.... I'm going to have to keep my eyes peeled for one - I know the digital photo booths that people can dress up in and take photos that are uploaded online is becoming quite popular for parties and weddings - I've also seen regular photo booths that print out pages on stickers - but not ones that allow the photo editing yet. Now I'm going to pay attention - will get back to you =)

    ReplyDelete