Friday, March 30, 2012

Ichigo Daifuku

Ichigo Daifuku is a modern "wagashi" (Japanese confection) or type of Japanese sweet. It combines the traditional "daifuku" which means "great fortune," with a fresh strawberry. It's white outside is called mochi, which is pounded rice cake. It's filled with a sweet azuki bean paste.

You can only find the strawberry variation towards the end of winter and in early spring. And it just so happens to be strawberry season here right now, so you can find these cute little treats in the grocery store. Basically, they are "lucky strawberry rice cakes."

These were 180yen each, so about $2.25 per piece. I love the sweet mochi outside, but I'm not a huge fan of the red bean paste inside - although the fresh strawberry made it taste much better. Even though I don't particularly care for the red bean, I still find myself buying these treats all the time. Sometimes I scoop out the inside filling, and just eat the white outside. :)

4 comments:

  1. I think I had some of that when I was there! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I had some of that when I was there! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. that looks so good - I'm a big fan of mochi and I like the red bean filling too - adding strawberry sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete