I decided to join a sewing yukata class to make my own kimono by hand! A yukata is a casual light cotton kimono. It comes from the word "yu" (bath) and "katabira" (under clothing). I found out that it originated from warriors wearing it as a robe after taking a bath. Today, it's generally worn in the summer and to festivals by both men and women. There are many patterns of fabric available, and the outfit is generally accompanied by an "obi" belt and matching wooden sandals.
Most of you who know me are probably surprised that I decided to take a sewing class.... considering that I don't know how and never have sewed anything in my life (not even a button!). But I think it will be a fun learning experience, and I will have a souvenir to take home with me that I made myself.
Here is the fabric I chose! Solid black background, with pink cherry blossoms.
How pretty! Can't wait to hear how it goes!
ReplyDeleteLOVE the fabric - can't wait to see the finished product!
ReplyDelete