2,000 tons of snow was brought in from Nagano and Gifu prefectures for a family snow festival at Moricoro Park in Nagoya. The festival includes a snow play area, sledding, and stage performances and shows. Admission is free, but as with all popular events in Japan - watch out for the crowds!
The festival is held every weekend for 1 month - a total of 15 days. We thought we were going early enough in the day to beat some of the crowd, but sadly we were mistaken.
I'm standing at the very back edge of the snow pile. You can see the narrow strip of snow goes until about where the tiny slides are for sledding. Better claim your square foot of snow early, before there is no room left! This picture was taken at 10:30AM, and we left at noon. I can only imagine how many more people showed up on this beautiful sunny afternoon.
OH, and I should also note that the line for sledding was ridiculously long. We didn't even bother waiting.
Nagoya rarely gets snow, so it was fun to get outdoors and experience the snow before our upcoming Hokkaido trip in the beginning of February. It allowed us to test out all of E's snow gear before we face negative temperatures and numerous feet of snow in northern Japan. We quickly realized she needed a heavier snowsuit and waterproof boots! Good thing we have a week left to find these items before our big trip.
So overall, yes - it was nice to get outdoors with friends, but really I don't see what all the fuss is about. With that said, I don't think I'd go back again. Maybe this is just because I grew up in Michigan, where snow is a regular winter occurrence.
No comments:
Post a Comment