Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Japanese Food

Upon hearing that Joe's favorite Japanese dish is okonomiyaki, Miyoko and her husband Kiyoshi were quick to invite us to dinner at their house. They made a variety of Japanese dishes for us to try. I love how they used this electric griddle type of pan to make the dishes in the center of the table. It was fun to watch how they prepare & cook all of the food.

Miyoko and Kiyoshi

The first dish they made was okonomiyaki. I know I've described this several times in previous blogs, because it's Joe's favorite dish and we eat it often. It's a Japanese "pancake" made with cabbage, squid, green onion, pork, egg, and batter (or pretty much whatever you want to put in it); then topped with okonomiyaki sauce, mayo, fish & seaweed flakes.

okonomiyaki

Next they made tacoyaki - which basically means "fried octopus balls." Although they know I'm not a huge fan of eating octopus, so they left out the "taco" and put cheese in the middle instead. Very good!!!

tacoyaki - minus the taco and plus cheese & ginger

They also made ramen and yakisoba, which unfortunately I failed to take pictures of. But both were also fantastic! Miyoko and her husband are great cooks and we really enjoyed learning how to make all of these Japanese dishes. I can make okonomiyaki and yakisoba at home - but it never turns out quite as good as theirs.

Fun night with great friends!

Thank you, Miyoko and Kiyoshi, for inviting us for dinner. We had a wonderful time! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment