Saturday, April 23, 2011

Baby Schreurs... "Maybe it's a ______!"

We had our 17 week appointment this week. The doctor measured the baby's head and size and said that based on the measurements I'm right on track for my due date. We are both doing well, gaining weight, and overall very healthy. We were also able to finally hear the baby's heartbeat, which is currently at a rate of about 150.

We were hoping to find out the gender at our appointment, and well... we kind-of did. The doctor asked if we wanted to know the sex, we said yes, and his response was: "maybe it's a boy." I know you're all thinking what does "maybe" mean? Well, I'm sure you've all gained some insight into the Japanese culture from all of the news reports after the earthquake, tsunami, and nuclear disasters here in Japan. Accuracy is important to the Japanese, and errors are not well accepted. A Japanese person does not like to be put in the position of having to admit a mistake or failure. Doing so would be to lose face, which is pretty serious in Japan. Generally people do not give answers or responses until they are over 110% positive.... so based on the culture, and the fact that my doctor actually gave a gender response, I think it's probably safe to say it's a boy. But to be sure, he'll check again and confirm at my next appointment in 4 weeks.

Here is the ultrasound video! Let us know if you agree that it's a boy. :)

3 comments:

  1. State of the art ultrasound technology is amazing! Wow! I certainly can't tell, but know it's a BBOGS! Excited!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's a boy - and in 4 weeks he will probably confirm that "maybe, it's a boy" - congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cannot really tell. It kind of looks that way, but it doesn't show for sure!

    ReplyDelete