Saturday, October 9, 2010

Mom's First Day!

Here are a few pictures of my mom's first day in Nagoya. It was a beautiful sunny day, so I took her for a bike ride around town...

First we rode to Nagoya Castle and a park nearby.

Next, I took her out for her first Japanese meal: tempura (rice, miso soup, deep-fried prawns, shrimp, fish, and veggies). It was her first time using chopsticks... which was pretty difficult for her because of all of the greasy food. After lunch, we stopped at the grocery store - so she got to see how expensive all the foods here are - especially foreign foods. She was shocked to find out that a box of Kraft Mac & Cheese costs $4 US dollars!

For dinner, we took her out for Indian. It was her first experience with Indian food... and she didn't like it very much.

5 comments:

  1. It looks like you guys are really enjoying yourselves! What an experience for your mom! Our time will come this spring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm interested to see how Indian food tastes in Japan as compared to the US - did you eat Indian food in the US???

    ReplyDelete
  3. For Nagoya-ites, of course the first restaurant I have to take a visitor to is definitely Yamachan(山ちゃん), Nagoya tebaski.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nicole - no, I never tried Indian food in the U.S. - but I LOVE it here!! When you come next spring, we'll have to go out and try a couple different Indian restaurants :) then you can tell me how it compares to the U.S.

    Nagoyan - thanks for the recommendation. I plan on taking my mom to Yamachan sometime this week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. And Mom S - we can't wait for you guys to visit next spring!!!

    ReplyDelete