The joyful event of separating trash in Japan. Literally, there are 9 different categories of trash & recyclables that all need to go into separate bags. We have this poster on our refrigerator as a constant reminder of what needs to go into each bag.... not fun!

We've been told that if you cheat and put things into the wrong bag, your trash will be returned to you and you will have to separate it out. I have a friend that this has happened to, so it really does happen. That would be a pretty disgusting task, so let's hope that doesn't happen to us! Also, you can't put milk cartons into any of the 9 categories.... you have to cut the carton a specific way, and then return them to the store.
There is even a 19 page guide online for how to separate your trash in Nagoya: http://www.youblisher.com/p/13626-Nagoya-Trash-Separation-Guidelines/
Also, it is interesting to note that there are very few trash cans around town. People are expected to carry their trash in their bag/purse or carry it around until they get home and then dispose of the item. So if I grab a Starbucks to go or even a snack, I am stuck carrying the cup/trash around until I get home. [I should also note though, that people here don't eat or drink on the go. Meals and food in general is very important in this culture - so when they do eat, they sit and take their time. This is a major difference from the USA!]
guess you have to take trash pretty seriously when you live on a small island
ReplyDeleteI think it will be interesting to visit your home in the USofA in a few years to see how much of this transfers - more than you think I'm willing to bet. Hey Emily, look at the bright side - at least the instructions are in English!
ReplyDeleteI would totally organize my trash.
ReplyDelete