
Where are you exactly?
NAGOYA. Southwest of Tokyo - see map.
What is the weather like?
This really depends on what area of Japan you are in. The southern islands of Japan are in a tropical climate, while the northern part of Japan is known for its mountains, ski resorts, and national parks. Here in Nagoya though, I would say it's pretty comparable to the Northern part of the USA. Cold in the winter (but it doesn't really snow in Nagoya), beautiful in the spring and fall, and hot & humid in the summer.
How do you get around town?
Public transportation here is incredible! The subway takes you wherever you need to go! We are also going to purchase a couple of bikes - so that we don't always have to rely on the subway to go short distances.
What do you eat? How do you order?
Right now we have been pretty much staying on the safe-side. We choose places with English menus, or at least pictures to choose from. We are willing to try new things - but are not into eating raw meat. Ordering is fairly easy as long as there is an English menu or pictures - if the waiter doesn't speak English, then you just point to the items you want. We have been eating quite a bit of: ramen (Chinese noodle soup), curry dishes, rice, and believe it or not - there are SO many pasta places here! I can honestly say I'm just about spaghetti'ed out! I will post some pictures of the food we're eating soon.
Is it safe?
Yes, very safe! Japan is one of the safest countries in the world. In fact, Japan is almost entirely a cash society... so people carry around hundreds of dollars in their wallet all the time and there are never any problems. The only bad thing I've heard is that creepy guys may try to cop a feel on a crowded subway. There are even "women only" cars on the subway during rush hour. Fortunately, I have not had any issues or felt unsafe in any way yet.
What does Emily do during the day?
Since we are still at the hotel, I have a lot of free time! I've been using the fitness center almost daily, visiting the International Center to look for ads for used items and check out library books, I'm taking Japanese classes and studying the language, and I go out to lunch with other Boeing wives. During the past month, practicing for the "waffle show" has also taken up quite a bit of my time.
Do people speak English?
Children in Japan are actually required to take English throughout their school years. So many people can understand English, and some speak it a little. Of course it's not widely spoken, but communication is not as difficult as you might think. It's pretty easy to get your basic needs met because many people here understand basic English.
Can you drink the water?
YES! Water is completely safe.
thanks for the update! glad to hear things are going well and you are getting around. love reading about what you guys are doing - blogging makes the world seem a bit smaller and everyone not so far away! keep posting & I'll stay tuned =)
ReplyDeleteI liked hearing that you are thinking about buying BIKES!! I love your daily activities, Emily--sounds like not too many dull moments!
ReplyDelete